The Centre for Independent Studies (CIS) is Australia's premier non-partisan public policy think tank. Our mission is to produce, disseminate and promote reasoned, non-partisan, fact-based practical research that supports individual liberty and responsibility, free enterprise, limited government and the rule of law. The CIS is not directed by the latest political or social trends. We work to develop long term solutions for the big public policy issues.
We are seeking to fill the position of Research Manager. The person we are looking for will have an enthusiasm for the CIS mission and the intellectual capacity to drive forward the CIS's research programs, an enthusiasm for public policy debate and an ability to guide a research team. The position is based in Sydney.
Role and Responsibilities
• Assess areas of research and set an ongoing framework with the Executive Director and researchers
• Develop research plans and targets with researchers
• Monitor and evaluate the progress of the research team to ensure research, editing and publication deadlines are met
• Be involved in the marketing and communication of the research to CIS supporters, business, government, media and the general public
• Help develop less experienced researchers and encourage professional development of senior researchers
• Assist in building relationships with governments at a state and federal level.
• When possible and appropriate undertake your own research and be involved in public presentations and speeches, media articles and interviews.
• Co-ordinate short-term interns
Qualifications and Background
• Postgraduate degree. PhD. preferred but not required.
• Strong publications and research record
• Experience working in academia, business, government, volunteer sector or in think tanks
• Skills in supervising and developing junior researchers
• Strong interest in contributing to the debate around public policy issues
• Strong communication skills
• Good analysis and writing skills
• An interest in building contacts in academia and government
• A genuine interest and understanding of the philosophical direction of The Centre for Independent Studies
• Salary is senior level and will be commensurate with experience
• Applications will be considered from candidates taking leave or secondment from their current position.
For an informal discussion about this position, candidates are welcome to contact the General Manager on 02 9438 4377
Written applications only. Please include a cover letter addressing the position criteria, your CV and three referees. Applications close on 23 March. Interviews may commence before the closing date.
Phone: 02 9438 4377
A small number of short-term unpaid internships are available throughout the year. If you would like to be considered for a position during 2015 please send in your CV and a cover letter and we will add you to the waiting list.
We select interns on three main criteria:
1. That the intern is studying in a field that we have a research interest in or that they are prepared to be involved in the project we offer them which may not be directly research oriented.
2. That a mentor within the CIS is available to work with the intern. We have found that the experience is less than satisfactory on both sides if there isn't a real project to be worked on and real support for the intern.
3. That you are available to work at our office in St Leonards, Sydney
Please send your CV and a cover letter explaining why you would like to intern at the CIS. We would also like to know your availability. For your information we have have interns who have worked with us for 12-14 weeks for 1 day a week and others who have worked 2-3 days a week over a shorter period of time in holiday periods.